Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Behaviorism in Practice

Back to blogging this week, looking at behaviorist learning theory and a couple of instructional strategies. I really like the idea of having students create their own spreadsheets to help track their own performance to see where they are weak and where they are strong. The neat thing was they looked at how their effort affected the outcome of their grade. Basically after looking at a rubric the teacher created, they then went on to track and create their own. I like the fact that they are more or less rewarded by seeing their effort either payoff or this helps them with knowing where they need to focus their effort on.
When it comes to homework and practice, I think we also see both sides of the coin. After a lesson is given or taught, students use homework almost as remedial tool or re-enforcer for what they just learned. The quiz or test that follows would be a good gauge or application of what they learned.
Effort should be awarded or punished as needed. What I mean by this is, if little effort is given, the poor grade is a reflection of that effort. Maybe then, remedial work or follow up work should be used whether its a project or research or? If good effort is put forth, a good grade is earned and recognition of some sort will follow. I believe there will and should always be some type of behaviorist learning theory used by all educators.

2 comments:

  1. Mike,

    I can relate to your thoughts. Instead of having extrinsic rewards for doing well on a test or quiz, tracking the connection between effort and success will hopefully develop more intrinsic motivation. I remember when I was in grade school and the feeling I got when I received my test back with a big A on it. That was all I needed to see in order to feel proud and motivated to continue my current work ethic. Unfortunately, I feel as though the students in today's society are not as easily inspired. Several of my students do not seem effected when they receive a failing grade on a test. This could possibly be because as an individual, they do not feel as if they can be successful. However, tracking their effort and achievement could be a good way to bring this sense of efficacy back and it will provide a good visual for students to see as well. Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, and Malenoski (2007) referenced Schunk (2003), "Research shows that the level of belief in self-efficacy plays a strong role in motivation for learning and achievement. If students become more confident in their abilities, they will their attitudes and beliefs about learning with improve.

    Meghan

    Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using Technology with Classroom Instruction
    that Works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    I am not sure if you are a fan of Michigan or Michigan State but Michigan just upset my team, UCONN (men's basketball) on national television. Last April Michigan State did the same. Anyway... behaviorism. I always had a hard time when it came to homework. I found the students who knew the content would be better off doing something besides reinforcement, and the students who did not know the content had a hard time doing homework as a remediation tool because they do not understand it. I teach a class now that does not require homework. It is one of the perks of being a specialty teacher. Are your home assignments study based or project based?

    ReplyDelete