Saturday, August 14, 2010

Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

When I first started into this class, I had no idea what a GAME plan was. Over time during this course, I have learned how to use the GAME plan, and have already started mapping out part of my year, based around some of the goals I have set for myself. I feel it is a great tool that can only help teachers improve on their work regardless of how long they have been a teacher. It does not matter if they are a 30-year veteran teacher or someone fresh out of college with their whole career ahead of them.

I really liked reading through the NETS-S for students and starting to think about how i could best utilize/ engage students into the process of meeting those standards. I came up with one simple, basic idea, lead by example. I know it may sound a little on the corny side, but here is the plan I came up with:

1. Take them out on the web and show them what NETS-S is, and also show them NETS-T, and explain how these are standards and proficiencies that we both need to meet and will work together on achieving.

2. Explain to students what a GAME plan is, and show them a few examples of my own.

3. Have students develop their own Game plans after showing them the NET-S.(I would make a classroom set of copies, that way each student would have one in front of them) Maybe even put it into a checklist format that way they could easily check off what they had done so far.

4. Monitor their progress weekly or biweekly, by having them pull their GAME plans back out and either check off or cross out what they had already accomplished. I would do the same with mine, projecting it up so they could see m progress as well.


This may all seem like a giant undertaking, but I feel I can start at the beginning of the year, it would be interesting as the year goes along to see students progress, as well as my own. Also, we could continue to modify and set our goals together, and basically grow together. Maybe this is all a little naive on my part, but this is the idea I am going to run with and look forward to any feedback and comments anyone would like to offer up.

5 comments:

  1. Christopher,
    All you can do is try it out! I think that putting the standards in their hands as you suggest is a good first step. Let them look them over and comment on which ones they feel are most important, that they feel they can already meet, or are interesting to them. Showing your own game plan(s) will show them the process and reinforce the idea that teachers can be students as well. I like the idea of a checklist for students and maybe some suggestions of how to meet each standard to give them an idea of your requirements. I you could have students write up their GAME plans online, then you could enable collaboration and minimize the loss of a paper copy. You could also monitor their progress from any computer. Best of luck on this endeavor!
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, these technology standards are very important and shouldn't ignored or taken lightly. Technology really is the wave of the future and if we don't prepare our students to thrive in technology and learn how to use it correctly and effectively, then they won't be prepared for the modern workforce. By the time they reach adulthood, they will need to use technology much more than we need to. I'm not saying there will be robots or anything like that, or maybe I am. In any case, we need to be to think about how the future will be and prepare our students as much as we can for. This is especially true in the field of technology as it is constantly changing at a rapid rate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom,
    I never thought about having them put their GAME plans up online, great idea! Thanks!

    Mike
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael,

    I love your personal assessment of progress and the realization that new knowledge can be applied to any teacher, veteran or novice. I agree! You approach of leading by example does not seem corny, but more an idea that will be a starting point for future ideas. I had not thought of actually showing my students the website of NET-S standards, but upon reading your idea; I really do see meaning in the experience. Actually, if you had laptops available, you could have each student bookmark this website and use it as a digital resource. In addition, you could have students use Word software to keep a working document of their GAME Plan to revisit and modify. Upon completion, create a class blog and then gave students interact with the ideas and experiences they have had. Sometimes, we have to take things one step at a time and I think that your plan does this well.

    Good luck,

    Kelly H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,

    What a great idea! I think the undertaking is well worth it because the skill you will be giving them will be life-long. The GAME can not only be used in school, but it can be used in real-life.

    I am in the process of some life changes and I plan to use it as a guide and a checkpoint for myself.

    ReplyDelete