Friday, July 30, 2010

Evaluating Your GAME Plan Progress EDUC 6713

Like most, school is not in session here in Michigan, but I still am continuing on. As I continue to develop plans and layout for early part of the year I am trying to come up with more ways to integrate technology into my plans/units. In talking with my principal the other day, class lists are not available yet. However, he did ask if I wanted to come in for some brainstorming and curriculum development with a couple of other teachers that will be teaching a computers class for the first time this and the computer teacher. Basically projects and ideas will be discussed, what has worked, what hasn't worked, etc.

My list of websites continues to grow, and am toying with the idea of setting up a blog before school starts for my class and/or a facebook page for my class. I actually had a friend of mine do this last year, school related only, parent and students both loved it. I am thinking that is strong possibility.

I have learned that I really like the idea of project based learning, as I have only used it a little. But, after watching and reading this week, I have thought of a couple of units that I can use it for the coming year.

As far as what do I have to learn, I would say it is just basic thing mostly comprising of time. How much time to spend, how much time in the lab will I need, how soon can I get into the lab - do I have to wait for another unit, and can the computers in the lab handle the technology I want to use? I'm sure more questions will pop up as I go along.

Adjusting of my plan I think, is just a matter of looking down the road as I mentioned above and trying to line up lab time in advance.

I love the feedback I have been getting and look forward to more. Thanks in advance!

3 comments:

  1. I love your post. You have some great questions. I do not have any answers for you right now. I do have a question for you though, how many labs are there and how many people are you in competition with?

    It is also true that flexibility is awesome. As long as lessons are not set in stone there will more than likely be some sort of success.

    Let me know things turn out in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Your colleague was able to set up a Facebook page for their class and the parents liked it? I wish that was the case for me. I tried to do this myself last year and had to jump through hoops to get it done through the district, but then they could not allow it to be unblocked while we were in school. So therefore the students who did not have internet or a computer at home, they were unable to participate. It was 14 students who did not have access, so it did not work for me. I can absolutely see the positives by it. The parents could have complete access to it. I hope that it works for you.

    I do not understand how they do not have the class lists yet completed. Or at least have a good idea of who is in each classroom. It bothers me because we could be doing a whole lot of planning with their names over summer but they do not give it to us.

    How do you plan on using the computer lab? Do you have to sign up before and/or how many times can you get it during the week? How much do you plan on using it?

    Great post and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,

    I share the same feeling that it's difficult to evaluate the process before the school year has even started, but it's also great that we can run through it together and get feedback. That's cool that got to have a dialog with other teachers about how to implement new ideas. I find that I often gain the most from bouncing ideas off of other teachers, more than just trying them yourself. Also, that's a great idea to have a class facebook page. Even though it's blocked at school computers, I think I'll still start one and tell the students about it. It's basically a cool and popular way for students and parents to receive a RSS feed, blog, and website.

    Thanks,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete